Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Lou Dog

Our family dog Sakett (a.k.a. Sakalou) passed away last Thursday. He had thyroid cancer, so we knew it was coming, but it was still awful. 

Cole bought Sak for me for our first Valentine's Day as a married couple. We've had him almost 12 years. I wish I could find a picture of him as a puppy, because he was the cutest puppy ever. He was also the WORST puppy ever. I think husky puppies have to be extra cute because they're extra naughty.

 He's been on road trips to Oregon and California with us, on a zillion camping trips, and the two of us have run hundreds of miles together.

We had a funeral for him and buried him in the backyard. Tukk cried and needed lots of time with Kenny (his blankie) that day. He just kept saying, "I'm so sad that Sakawou died. I wish we can keep him."
 Caulder didn't have much of a reaction during the funeral, but a few minutes later he came running up to me, threw his arms around me, and sobbed. I held him for 10 minutes while he cried. It just about killed Cole and me, because Caulder practically never cries, and he NEVER wants to be held. I'd post a picture of him being sad but it would literally break your heart.

Sakalou spent 90% of his life getting in trouble. Just like my kids. Must be why he felt like such a big part of our family. Rest in peace, you old mutt.

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

:( That is so sad! I'm sorry that has to be hard to deal with. Cael begs for a dog, but we told him he has to wait until he is 12, but I don't think I could handle losing a family pet!

Jecca Lee Ivie Johnson said...

I remember how cute and fluffy he was as a puppy. When I told the girls, they teared up too. I'm sure he's running in a heavenly pack with Grotley now.

Jen-dog said...

We cried too. So sorry about Sak.

St. Geezy Girls' Trip

We finally resurrected the St. George girls' trip! We used to go every summer, but it's been years since we've been down to see ...